[SOLVED] Unattended installation var from response.varfile not saved

Get help with installation and configuration of OWS. Please post specific bug reports, pull requests, or source code extensions on github.
Nadine

[SOLVED] Unattended installation var from response.varfile not saved

Post by Nadine »

Hello
Trying on Windows, using OpenWebStart_windows-x64_1_2_1.exe installer.

I encounter 2 problems ;
- deployment.user.cachedir is never save. I found this message in a log file :
Won't save property 'deployment.user.cachedir' since its current value is its default
I have read install4j et OWS users'guide. I didn't find an explanation for my error.
I also provide ows.jvm.manager.server.default=http\://xxx/antbox-java.json.
The variable is correctly saved in C:\Users\faizant\.config\icedtea-web\deployment.properties, but the cache.json file copied in the jvm cachedir is alwas empty :
{
"runtimes": []
}

I have try with or whithout ows.jvm.manager.cache.dir customization. In both cases the json is empty while i get the file correctly from a navigator.
I have set :
deployment.https.noenforce=true
Thanks for our help,
NF

Stephan Classen

Re: Unattended installation var from response.varfile not saved

Post by Stephan Classen »

Hello Nadine

Thank you for your interest in OWS and also for reading the guide. We very much appreciate if someone takes the time to read what we provide.

To your questions:
If a property in the deployment.properties has default value it will not be saved. This is an optimization to make the file smaller and thus more readable.
It also gives us the possibility to change the default in the future and everybody which has the default value will get updated.

Regarding the cache.json file. This is not a copy of the remote json file.
It contains the list of runtimes known to OpenWebStart. So once OWS downloads a JVM or you add a locally installed in the settings the file will be updated.
We do not store a copy of the remote json. Because it is not very large we always download the newest version for every start of OWS. This way we avoid reading outdated versions.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions simply ask

Nadine

Post by Nadine »

Thanks Stephan for your answer.

So if my understanding is right :

- there is no way to install OWS with a different cache directory than the default one. Unfortunately, Applocker on Windows 10 disable jar execution from the users's home dir. That the reason why i need to change this dir. It would be nice to do it automatically.

- there is no way to select automatically an already installed JRE on the computer where OWS is being install

Right ?

Have a nice week-end,

Nadine

Stephan Classen

Setting the "ows.jvm.manager.cache.dir" in the response.var or in the deployment.properties file should work.

What currently is not supported is providing a list of pre-installed JVMs when doing an installation of OWS

Stephan Classen

With version 1.3.0 we added the possibility to define local JVMs at installation time.
See the release notes: https://github.com/karakun/OpenWebStart ... tag/v1.3.0