[SOLVED] Bug when auto-updating version 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 on 64-bit Windows

Get help with installation and configuration of OWS. Please post specific bug reports, pull requests, or source code extensions on github.
bromley

[SOLVED] Bug when auto-updating version 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 on 64-bit Windows

Post by bromley »

I opened our JNLP app via its desktop shortcut and, as it was opening, I got a message about a new version of OpenWebStart being available. I selected the option to download and install it, and it started doing this at the same time as opening our JNLP app. So our JNLP app was then open while the installer for 1.3.1 was running (not because I'd opened it separately, just because OpenWebStart was doing the update at the same time as it had the JNLP app open i.e. so I just went along with the default options rather than doing anything unusual, I think).

The installer for 1.3.1 then went wrong, giving the error message:
"C:\Users\{myusername}\AppData\Local\Programs\OpenWebStart\openwebstart.jar Could not create this file. Shall I try again?"

I clicked "Yes" to try again, and got the same message again.

I guessed that this was because the JNLP app was open, and openwebstart.jar was in use by that, so I closed the JNLP app, and then clicked "Yes" again, and it worked.

It looks like the way OpenWebStart updates itself at the same time as opening a JNLP app is potentially a problem, because OpenWebStart can't overwrite its files that are already in use by the JNLP app.

I'm letting you know this not because I'm stuck, rather because it looks like something that will cause issues for other users (especially less technical users) when OpenWebStart updates itself in future.

Thank you for all your work on this excellent software :)

Stephan Classen

Re: Bug when auto-updating version 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 on 64-bit Windows

Post by Stephan Classen »

Thank you for reporting this. We will have a look into this issue.

bromley

Post by bromley »

Thank you Stephan!

Andreas Ehret

Post by Andreas Ehret »

Solved in 1.4.0