IE does not "Open" jnlpx content

The public knowledge pool and discussion forum of the OWS community. Do not post confidential information here!
javaapp

IE does not "Open" jnlpx content

Post by javaapp »

We are seeing an issue with Internet Explorer (surprise) 11. We have associated only the "jnlpx" extension to OpenWebStart, not "jnlp" (on purpose). When we download a .jnlpx file to the browser, we get a popup at the bottom saying:

"Do you want to open or save filename.jnlpx (2.40 KB) from hostname.com? [Open] [Save] [Cancel]"
  • If we Save and and the double-click the jnlpx, OpenWebStart starts up and runs the app and all is well.
  • If we click Open, then nothing happens at all
  • If we choose "Save and Open" (from the "Save" dropdown), then nothing happens at all
The response headers we use are:

Code: Select all

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="filename.jnlpx"
Content-Type: application/x-java-jnlp-file; charset=UTF-8
Ideally clicking "Open" (or "Save and Open") would invoke OpenWebstart and start our app. Any ideas?

Andreas Ehret

Re: IE does not "Open" jnlpx content

Post by Andreas Ehret »

To narrow down the problem, do you have the same behavior when you associate ".jnlp" extension in your IE11 to OpenWebStart, or does this combination behaves as expected?

Janak Mulani

Post by Janak Mulani »

I tested it and it works => in IE 11 type the URL of .jnlpx file, IE downloads it and asks for Open or Save, Clicking on Open starts the .jnlpx file with OWS.

In Windows Setting > Apps > Default Apps > Choose apps by file type >:.jnlpx is associated with OWS.:

jnlpx.PNG
jnlpx.PNG (18.31 KiB) Viewed 6700 times

javaapp

Post by javaapp »

Using .jnlp extension had the same (bad) result for me. However if I assoociate .jnlp with Oracle's Java WebStart then it worked.

I'm wondering if my problem is environmental; my control panel shows 4 instances of OWS installed including 1.1.7 and 3 instances of 1.1.8. I'll get these cleaned out by a sys admin and re-install/re-test

Thanks for looking at this!

javaapp

Post by javaapp »

I forgot to mention: My co-worker is having the same problem as me. It wouldn't matter if OWS is installed per-user instead of for all users on the machine, right?

javaapp

Post by javaapp »

For me, In Windows Setting > Apps > Default Apps, there are three identical-looking OWS choices. I have installed and re-installed OWS many times on my local box for my evaluation which may explain this. Each time was "For just this user" since I do not have admin privileges on my box.

I've tried selecting all of the OWS choices as the Default app for .jnlpx but I get the same result in IE 11.

I'll have a sys admin uninstall all of these OWS instances and try to re-install and retest with a clean setup.

Hendrik Ebbers

Post by Hendrik Ebbers »

Do you have any feedback?