No Suitable JVM was found to start the application

The public knowledge pool and discussion forum of the OWS community. Do not post confidential information here!
rpinninti

No Suitable JVM was found to start the application

Post by rpinninti »

Hi,
we have recently migrated our Java Swing client applications from Java 8 to Java 11. We are using OpenWebStart to launch the JNLP files. Tested this on our team members computers (both Windows and Mac OS) more than 10 PCs. For most of the people it seems to be working fine. However, few people getting "No Suitable JVM found to start the application" error. Any sort of input would be appreciated. Here is the JNLP template.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp codebase="$$codebase" href="$$name">
<information>
<title>bpm-client</title>
<vendor>****</vendor>
<description>BPM Manufacturing LIMS client</description>
<description kind="short">BPM Manufacturing LIMS client</description>
<description kind="tooltip">BPMClient</description>
<icon href="discovery.gif" width="64" height="32"/>
<shortcut online="true">
<desktop/>
</shortcut>
#if($offlineAllowed)
<offline-allowed/>
#end
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.6+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" initial-heap-size="32m"
max-heap-size="768m"/>
$dependencies
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="$mainClass"/>
</jnlp>

Also, find the attachment for the exact error. Let me know if you need more info from my end.
Attachments
openwebstart error.PNG
openwebstart error.PNG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 21066 times

Janak Mulani

Re: No Suitable JVM was found to start the application

Post by Janak Mulani »

Hi,

You have specified the location of JVM server in your JNLP file:

Code: Select all

<j2se version="1.6+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
Using OWS's itw-settings > JVM Manager you can see which JVMs can be used by OWS and also specify whether to allow use of JVM server from JNLP file.

Also make sure that the specified JVM server URL is working.

Further documentation can be found here :

https://github.com/karakun/OpenWebStart ... management

https://github.com/karakun/OpenWebStart ... plications

Stephan Classen

Post by Stephan Classen »

If the above information did not help you then please provide the complete stage1 log file

rpinninti

Post by rpinninti »

Hi Janak and Stephen,

I have update the JNLP file to <java version="11+" href="https://download-openwebstart.com/jvms.json" initial-heap-size="32m"
max-heap-size="320m"/>. I set the link to OpenWebStart default URI. This one didn't help us. I think this issue has something to with permissions. Please take look at the attached log file for more info. I checked the user permissions on the icedtea-web under .cache and i see all administrators and current user has full control. Not sure why it was not able to move the files around under .cache. Also i attached screenshot of one of the steps of installing OpenWebStart related to user permissions. Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks,
Rajesh
Attachments
stage1_log.txt.zip
(12.36 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
image2020-9-18_11-12-6.png
image2020-9-18_11-12-6.png (41.9 KiB) Viewed 21034 times

rpinninti

Post by rpinninti »

Any updates on this please?

Janak Mulani

Post by Janak Mulani »

>
I have update the JNLP file to <java version="11+" href="https://download-openwebstart.com/jvms.json" initial-heap-size="32m"
max-heap-size="320m"/>. I set the link to OpenWebStart default URI.
>

The URL of JVM Server by default is https://download-openwebstart.com/jvms.json. There is no need to set this in jnlp file. You specify URL in jnlp file only if you have a custom JVM server that you want to use to download JVM from. Also if you specify JVM url in jnlp file then you must enable Allow Server from JNLP file.

>
I checked the user permissions on the icedtea-web under .cache and i see all administrators and current user has full control. Not sure why it was not able to move the files around under .cache.
>

Perhaps, not only full control but ownership also seems to matter :

FilePermission.png
FilePermission.png (178.25 KiB) Viewed 21003 times
Can you please check this?

Thanks

Janak

rpinninti

Post by rpinninti »

We did check the owner permissions and everything looks about right. Not sure what exactly causing this issue. This is something you guys might want to look into. However, we figured out couple of alternative solutions to fix this issue.
First Solution:
Download the OpenJDK 11 from Open JDK website.
Go to C:\Program Files\OpenWebStart and click on itw-settings.exe file.
Go to JVM Manager section and click on Add Local button.
Locate the installed JDK and select the JDK-11.0.x/JRE-11.0.x folder and click on Open.
Second Solution:
Replace the jvm-cache folder under C:\Users\${your username}\.cache\icedtea-web with the jvm-cache folder which is copied from one of the successfully installed computers.
Update the JavaHome variable path in cache.json file to point to your local JVM cache.

Now I'm wondering that if we do unattended installation on bunch of PCs, would this issue still raise? Let me know if you have any other ideas to fix this.

Janak Mulani

Post by Janak Mulani »

You say it is working on some machines but not on some other machines.

The cause is:

Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\rboada\.cache\icedtea-web\jvm-cache\azul_11.0.7\c6e8a848-6334-4ce5-b06e-d8c2c9ba35b8\zulu11.39.15-ca-fx-jdk11.0.7-win_x64\bin -> C:\Users\rboada\.cache\icedtea-web\jvm-cache\azul_11.0.7\bin
We have developed a small debug application. This is a standalone java application which can be launched with the following command:

java -jar file-system-debugger.jar

The application consists of 2 tabs

File Properties:
In this tab a file or directory can be selected and an exhaustive list of properties as they are seen by the java runtime are displayed.

Create Restricted File:
In this tab a file or directory can be created in the file system.
The checkboxes allow to specify which ACL permissions should be restricted to the owner.

The debugger is attached to this mail. Could you please try it on the machine where it works and where it doesn't and compare the permissions. Maybe this helps in understanding what is causing the issue.

It would be very helpful if you could share any outcome with us.
Attachments
file-system-debugger.zip
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 603 times