Prevent/Restrict Application Installation

The public knowledge pool and discussion forum of the OWS community. Do not post confidential information here!
c.sottile

Prevent/Restrict Application Installation

Post by c.sottile »

Hi,

Oracle JWS provides through the following deployment configuration:

Code: Select all

deployment.javaws.install=NEVER
to prevent the application from being installed.

Is there a similar configuration in OWS in order to prevent or restrict apps installation?

Waiting for your reply thank you!

Greetings,
Carmelo

Janak Mulani

Re: Prevent/Restrict Application Installation

Post by Janak Mulani »

Hello Carmello,

As far as I can tell from my search in the code OWS and ITW do not support deployment.javaws.install property.

However can you please elaborate a bit how you are using this property?

For instance Java Control Panel > Advanced Tab has Application Installation. It has options like Install If Hinted, If Shortcut Created, If hinted and shortcut, Never.

Where do you specify the hint? In the jnlp file? Can you please share an example?

Thanks

Janak

c.sottile

Post by c.sottile »

Hi Janak,

in my company's solution, based on Oracle 8 JWS, this property is currently set to "NEVER". Effectively preventing the application from being installed.

This setting is declared in the deployment.properties and, in any case, modifiable by the user from the Java Control Panel.

deployment.javaws.install=NEVER
I don't know if you can give similar directives on the JNLP descriptor But our users using many third party applications and we would like to prevent or limit, in the new solution OWS based, the installation of the applications.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Carmelo

Janak Mulani

Post by Janak Mulani »

Hi Carmello,

As I said earlier, one of the options for this property is "Install If Hinted". So the question is where do you specify this hint?

For shortcuts, a hint can be specified in the Jnlp file using the <shortcut> tag under <information> tag.

So I am wondering if there is a similar tag for Application Installation. I searched but did not find anything.

c.sottile

Post by c.sottile »

Hi Janak,

Me too, I didn't find anything about "Install If Hinted". Somenthing is reported here https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/t ... p/jcp.html.

I believe it is a defualt setting in the Oracle solution. If nothing is specified, by definition, the application is installed.

At this point the question is: does the concept of installing an app exist in OWS? In this case, shouldn't it be subject to cache rejuvenation policies?

Thanks,
Carmelo

Janak Mulani

Post by Janak Mulani »

Hi Carmello,

I found more information:
The optional install attribute can be used in a shortcut element to describe the application's preference for being considered "installed". If the value is "true" the application prefers to be considered installed. The default value of the install attribute is "false". On Windows, this determines if the application appears in the Add and Remove Programs panel.
So when you specify install attribute of shortcut tag in your jnlp, depending on the setting in Java Control Panel > Advanced > Application Installation
Oracle JWS will make Windows treat the jnlp as as an "installed" app and the app will appear in the list of installed programs under Windows Control Panel > Programs and Feature.

<shortcut online="true" install="true">
            <desktop/>
            <menu submenu="OWS Desktop Test"/>
        </shortcut>
OWS (and ITW) does not handle the install attribute of the shortcut tag, hence it does not create an entry in Add/Remove Programs List of Windows Programs and Features. Therefore you need not worry about the install feature.