The version of the JVM must be 1.8?

The public knowledge pool and discussion forum of the OWS community. Do not post confidential information here!
cliviu

The version of the JVM must be 1.8?

Post by cliviu »

Hi,
I need to run the javaws script with a jre > 1.8 but it looks like is not possible:

I always got this error message :

Code: Select all

No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.
The version of the JVM must be 1.8.
Please define INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME to point to a suitable JVM.
What am I doing wrong?

Andreas Ehret

Re: The version of the JVM must be 1.8?

Post by Andreas Ehret »

could you give more details on your problem? Do you talk about Java Webstart or OWS? It looks like you run Java Webstart and need to install a suitable JVM to run your script

cliviu

Post by cliviu »

Yes, the thing is that I'm running on an OpenSuse where I cannot properly install the Debian package for Ubuntu, so I have unpacked the Debian package and manually run from ..OpenWebStart_linux_1_8_0/opt/OpenWebStart/javaws myfile.jnlp . I have seen that the javaws need the jre that is provided with the package which is a 1.8 jre. My problem is that I need to run my jnlp with a 11 JDK.

cliviu

Post by cliviu »

where are the --add-exports configured?

Andreas Ehret

Post by Andreas Ehret »

you need to distinguish between the JVM that OWS needs to run and the JDK your jnlp application needs to run. The JVM bundled with OWS is not the one used to launch your application (https://openwebstart.com/docs/FAQ.html# ... n_i_use_it).

When launching your jnlp application with OWS, OWS checks by the JVM hint in your applications jnlp which JVM to download and run your application with. This is what the JVM manager of OWS is doing for you, managing the required JVMs (something that Oracle web start does not have).

So it is possible to run your jnlp application with 11 JDK while your OWS installation uses 1.8 JDK internally. Run OWS settings to see which JVMs your OWS is managing: https://openwebstart.com/docs/OWSGuide. ... management